Home » Fresh News » Government has no agenda against Volta Region – Nitiwul
Big-Love-Radio-728x90-CMS

Government has no agenda against Volta Region – Nitiwul

POLITICS

Government has no agenda against Volta Region – Nitiwul


Ethel
Ethel

Jun 29, 2020 04:50

0

Government has no agenda against Volta Region - Nitiwul

The Defence Minister, Dominic Nitiwul has described as ‘pure mischief’ and propaganda claims by the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) that the government has deployed military officers specifically to the Volta Region to intimidate them from registering to vote in the 2020 general elections.

The Minister, at a press conference on Monday, said the deployment of soldiers is part a nationwide exercise to stop the immigration of people into the country through unapproved routes in a bid to stop the importation of COVID-19 cases. He said similar deployments had been done in the Savannah, Northern and Upper East regions as well.

“I want the people of the Volta Region to know that the information the NDC, Minority and former president John Mahama are feeding them is pure propaganda. It should be ignored. It is pure mischief. We have deployed [soldiers] across the entire country and the purpose is to aid and support the Ghana Immigration Service to stop people from

crossing [in] because we have too many unapproved routes and the COVID-19 numbers are getting higher and higher and we will not sit aloof and allow our people to die because people are crossing into our country,” the Minister said. The Minister said there is no agenda against any tribe in the country as is being suggested by persons who are accusing the

government of targeting Ewes in the Volta Region for intimidation in the run-up to the 2020 elections. He said the ultimate purpose of the deployment is to check crime and illegal immigration, which puts the country at a health risks amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. “For the people of Ghana, they are concerned about their health.

It is my duty to make sure that the people of Ghana are safe and at this particular time we are all in danger so you will have seen the deployment we have done across the whole country and for anybody to suggest that we just deployed only to Aflao or the Volta Region is misplaced, it is misinformation and the person is only seeking mischief,” he added.

Withdraw military officers

The National Democratic Congress (NDC) had earlier on Monday has slammed the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) for deploying military personnel to border towns in the country. At a press conference addressed by the Member of Parliament for Ketu South, Fifi Kwetey, the deployment was undoubtedly “timed to coincide with the

commencement of the Voter Registration exercise across the country” from tomorrow, Tuesday. The party subsequently gave a 48-hour ultimatum for the government to withdraw the personnel. The voter registration exercise is scheduled to begin on Tuesday, June 30, 2020.

Spread the love

Check Also

U/E: Six killed, Two injured In Renewed Clashes In Kassena-Nankana

NEWS U/E: Six killed, Two injured In Renewed Clashes In Kassena-Nankana Ethel Jul 5, 2020 04:38 0 Six persons have been killed and 12 houses torched during a clash over a renewed land dispute between the people of Doba and Kandiga in the Kassena-Nankana Municipal and Kassana-Nankana West District of the Upper East Region. Two others have also sustained various degrees of injury and are currently receiving treatment at the War Memorial Hospital. According to the Navrongo Municipal Police Command, the people of Doba got infuriated after some suspects from the Kandiga community were granted bail by the Bolga high court in connection with previous disturbances in the area and upon their return home they were celebrated as heroes thus the reprisal attack. Speaking to the media, the Navrongo Municipal Police Commander, Superintendent Francis Agyare said even though the police has commenced investigations into the clash, a joint military-police personnel have been dispatched to..

Metro Mass Staff Directed To Call Off strike

NEWS Metro Mass Staff Directed To Call Off strike Tish Jul 5, 2020 01:30 0 Workers of the Metro Mass Transit Limited have been directed to call off their sit-down strike with immediate effect. The directive was given by the General Transport, Petroleum & Chemical Workers Union of TUC Ghana. The workers resorted to the strike in protest of unpaid salaries. A letter from the General Transport, Petroleum and Chemical Workers Union to the Senior and Junior Staff Union of the Metro Mass Transit Limited and said the directive follows a successful meeting they had with the leadership of the company. The General Transport Union in the letter signed by its General Secretary, Fuseini Iddrisu said: “flowing from the said meeting, the National Secretariat of the Union was convinced the salaries in arrears would be paid by the government”. The Union, thus directed that “The industrial action should be suspended immediately until further notice. The salaries in arrears should be paid ..

Sagnarigu: NDC Agent Arrested for Stealing EC Forms

POLITICS Sagnarigu: NDC Agent Arrested for Stealing EC Forms Janice Jul 5, 2020 06:54 0 Alhassan Abdullai Mohammed Alhassan Abdullai Mohammed, a 44 year old teacher believed to be an agent for the National Democratic Congress(NDC) in the ongoing voters’ registration exercise in the Sagnarigu municipality of the Northern region has been arrested. According to the Northern Regional Crime Officer, Supt. Otuo Acheampong, the suspect was handed over to the police in possession of eight Voter Registration Forms 1A, a property of the Electoral Commission, which he dishonestly appropriated without the consent of the registration officer. Supt. Acheampong indicated that the suspect has been cautioned and detained assisting with investigations. The Northern Regional Chairman of the NPP, Mohammed Baantima Adam Samba told DGN that it was during his tour of some of the registration centres in the region that they discovered the alleged NDC party agent filling the forms and in posses..

Man Arrested For Assaulting Ndc Polling agent

POLITICS Man Arrested For Assaulting Ndc Polling agent Ethel Jul 5, 2020 07:11 0 Police in Atimpoku in the Asuogyaman District of the Eastern Region have arrested a middle-aged man for assaulting a Polling agent of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC). The suspect identified as Ernest Anyoni, and one other, now at large, assaulted the NDC polling agent Moses Asare at Senchi GNAT Hall Polling Station on Saturday alleging that the agent was taking pictures of them during an altercation over an alleged non-resident applicant the NDC protested against. The two suspects allegedly pounced on the agent and beat him mercilessly in the presence of the Military personnel deployed to the Constituency. Victim A complaint was lodged at the Atimpoku Police Station after which the suspect was arrested but his accomplice gone into hiding. The Police has identified the suspect as the same person who attempted to beat a uniformed Police officer at Atimpoku Zongo Mosque pollin..

Tema Citizen Check Chairman Dies In A Motor Accident

NEWS Tema Citizen Check Chairman Dies In A Motor Accident Ethel Jul 5, 2020 06:21 0 Evans Asem Residents of Tema have been thrown into mourning over the passing away of Chairman of Citizens Check, a pressure group in the area. Evans Asem known as “Quallo Quallo” died in a motor accident on the Kete Krachi road on Friday July 3, 2020 He and other people formed Citizen Check years ago to rally the youth to contribute to the development of Tema and also demand accountability from those in power. As a result of the decent way they go about their activities, the youth group has attracted even adult population in the Tema area to join. It has also succeeded in establishing a branch in Ashaiman Municipality. They have undertaken several cleaning up exercises and made donations to institutions including Tema General Hospital.

Leave a Reply